Tuesday, November 26, 2013

Healthy Living ~ Day 3 ~ Overflow

Today was a unique day.  I had a morning appointment. We got turned around a bit and parked in the Overflow parking lot and took the long trek under the street and up the mountain of stairs and counted the parking garages and public parking lots closer to the building on the way.  It was a great way to get some aerobic exercise at the start of the day.
My eating was okayish.  I had good portions, but I ate some sweet stuff again.  I am working on greatly reducing my sweet intake.  Yes, even around the holidays.  It is possible.  I have done it before.
I am still working on incorporation of exercise within my day.  I am attempting 10 minutes a day.  Today I didn't get that in as of yet.  Some progress is better than no progress.  The journal entry for today discusses the temptation of straying from my plan and what I do.  It asks to describe the emotional battle of that temptation.
Personally for me, I am training myself to ask "WHY?" in all things.  The answer to this "why" is "for the glory of God."  So I have no excuse to work the plan.  It is taking a little bit to train myself to think this way, but when I let go and allow myself to do it for the Lord, the frustration dissolves and the joy returns as I eat, exercise, and live for the glory of God.
I have to get completely on board with my plan, whatever the plan, in my mind and heart.  That makes it easier for me to enforce and hold myself accountable to it when I have made a mental commitment, so to speak.
When tempted to sway from the plan, I usually have victory over temptation when I am fully invested in the plan.  At other times, I give in and don't take care of my nutrition and fitness.  The consequences for this have been weight gain, fatigue, and lack of energy.  Additional emotional responses are negative self talk and guilt over allowing myself to let go.
This is why I want a plan that I can turn into a lifestyle.  I believe Bob Harper's 20 Skinny rules will do that for me, but I have yet to mentally commit to them.  I must commit to eating healthy, why? For the glory of God.  I must commit to exercising my body, why? For the glory of God.  When tempted to cheat or go "off plan," I must ask, why?  I then must make the beneficial choice for the glory of God.
I wish all of you the best this Thanksgiving, and I will do my best to adhere to the goals I set forth.  I will do my best to ask "Why?" while filling my plate with the abundance that God has so graciously supplied for my family.  Happy Thanksgiving and remember to count your blessings.

No comments:

Post a Comment